When Can I Stop Paying Child Support in TX?

There are three scenarios of child support in Texas.

1. Child support for one minor child;

2. Child support for multiple children with built-in step-down amounts as each child is no longer eligible for child support; and

3. Child support for a disabled child over the age of majority.

Most parents who come to agreed orders or receive orders from a trial have child support ordered in their final orders.

The parent obligated to pay child support is called the Obligor. The receiving parent is the Obligee. In Texas, the obligation to pay child support typically ends when the child reaches 18 years old or graduates high school, whichever occurs later. Child support also terminates upon the death of the child support is paid for, should that misfortune occur.

Additionally, child support can end before a child turns 18 years old by becoming legally emancipated, which means the minor’s parents will no longer have any legal duty to supervise their child. A minor can be emancipated when he/she reaches 16 or 17 by obtaining “the removal of the disabilities of minority” through a court order, getting married, or enlisting in the U.S. military.

On the other hand, it is possible that child support payments continue into adulthood. For example, if a child is diagnosed with a physical or mental disability and still needs medical care after turning 18, then child support can continue indefinitely. Common factors the court will consider include current and future medical expenses, each parent’s finances and ability to provide such care, and any local, state, or federal programs that may provide added assistance to support the child’s medical needs. In this instance, child support may not terminate.

Remember, child support does not automatically end or get reduced in Texas. The Office of the Attorney General does not automatically send any letter to an obligor’s employer to cease withholding child support from the obligor’s paycheck. Some obligor’s employers will stop withholding child support based on seeing the child’s graduation photos and birth certificate, but some employers require the obligor to obtain a court order ordering the termination of the income withholding order. When a parent’s child turns 18 or graduates high school and none of the other exceptions mentioned above apply, an Obligor will need to file a Petition to Terminate Withholding for Child Support in the same case as the original order. For an obligor to obtain an order to terminate the child support order, it may be necessary to hire private counsel to assist.

Likewise, if one of a parent’s children ceases being eligible for child support, the Obligor parent will need to file a court petition to modify the child support to have the child support income withholding order lowered in compliance with the step-down provision in the final order if you have a step-down provision.

Ensure you file the request 60 days before the last scheduled payment before your obligation will end. Nevertheless, even if your obligation is scheduled to cease, if you owe back child support payments, you are still obligated to pay off what you owe.

If you are interested in modifying or terminating child support in McKinney or within the surrounding area, call Camille Borg Law PLLC at (469) 646-7763 or fill out our online contact form today to discuss your case with our experienced family law attorney!

Related Posts
  • International Child Abduction and the Hague Convention Treaty Read More
  • The Texas Lawyer's Creed’s Importance Read More
  • Material & Substantial Change in Texas Read More